Autumn is really here with everything turning gold and yellow. The days are comfortable at 70 degrees but mornings are quite chilly (mid-thirties).
Hopefully, the firefighters are getting a handle on both fires north and south. I haven’t seen any more possible blackouts so fingers crossed.
- I’m making a sourdough pizza dough for dinner. I was going to order out but decided this will be better. I have olives, mushrooms, bell peppers, and even some pepperoni. So I think we’re set.
- Last night( Halloween) we watched the original”Creature from the Black Lagoon”. Very entertaining. The short shorts on the guys were hysterical. They came up above their belly buttons but didn’t cover too much below. You couldn’t see ” anything” but it must have been held tight? Who knows? The night before we watched “Young Frankenstein” which is one of our top 5 favorite movies. It is so funny even after having watched it 500 times.
- I’m heading to Walmart for a pick-up, then I might go to the gym?? Maybe?? If I don’t I’ll go tomorrow.
- Washed the couch covers yesterday as that was in the LR zone. Today is actually another zone as it is November 1. If you follow Flylady, that would be the Entryway and dining room. Since our table is in our living room space it’s already done. I did put away all my vintage Halloween stuff. I’m leaving out my knitted pumpkins till Thanksgiving and I have some small real ones on the table too.
- Next week we have no appts, so I’m going to take Buggie( my 2000 VW) to get an oil change.
- Last night with dinner we had a fun bottle of Chardonnay.
I didn’t do Frugal Friday since overall this week hasn’t been too frugal. As far as groceries go I was frugal and didn’t spend much. I think I bought a few things at our Holiday market and that’s it. I went to Walmart yesterday( I go maybe twice a year) to buy some type of PJ for B to wear in the hospital. When he gets his Hickman catheter which has three things hanging to get and receive stuff, you really can’t wear a shirt that goes over your head. It needs to be a button up. So I found 2 nice sets for him to wear. Pretty much you’re in sweats or jammies the whole time. Plus you really have no energy to really even get dressed. I remember, for me, a shower would completely wipe me out. So back to Walmart. As I said I rarely ever shop there but I do like their Danskin line and I pretty much live in those. So I was really annoyed they have stopped carrying them. I am going to check online because I thought I saw them there.
So that shop turned out not frugal because I had a big list including propane bottles, some food items, etc. But I was pleased with what I did get.
Today is day 2 of B’s chemo and I’m going to drop him off and then go to Safeway for a few things like veggies, chicken, and olives. They have an olive bar like whole foods does. Not as many choices but still nice.
Then I’m coming home to finish some laundry and vacuum. I have a good book I’m reading so that’s on my list.
A friend is bringing B home so I don’t have to go back out. Nice!!
Sunday my daughter and I are going to trek down to IKEA for a cabinet for the bathroom I’ve wanted. It’s tall and narrow and since our bathroom is so small my choices are limited. Then we can have fun looking around. But trips to Ikea are rarely frugal. I only go there twice a year also so I kinda keep a list going. They have great kitchen towels for under a dollar. Plus storage boxes are very inexpensive and I could use a few more for pictures.
It’s still rainy and cold now but next week looks like more normal temperatures. Mid fifties and then sixties.
Dinner is a pizza I have a coupon for and my son will pick up after work.
I guess I missed this yesterday so I’ll just do it today. First, though, it’s a miracle. We can see the sun. It’s strange to see that yellow orb in the sky after so much rain. If you missed this on the news, I-80 from Colfax, ( right above where we live) to Truckee, was closed due to a mudslide that went across all lanes. Now that’s serious folks. One lane eastbound is open this morning but all the rest are still closed. Wow, that’s a lot of rain and mud.
So it hasn’t been a frugal week at all.
- B went to Costco and spent $200. Well, it was stuff we needed and of course some champagne to celebrate my numbers.
- I went to Grocery Outlet and spent $70 on groceries. so not frugal
- We’ve had all space heaters off since though, rainy, it has been quite warm @ 52 degrees yesterday to start. So I’m hoping the electric bill reflects this.
- My daughter and I went to Walmart. I only go to Walmart once or twice a year and that is because they carry the Danskin active wear line. This is what makes up most of my capsule wardrobe. But for the last year, they’ve had nada that I liked. But yesterday I found the pants I like( think yoga pants)so I got the only black they had in my size and a grey. Grey is not usually in my color base but I liked these so I got them. Overall it wasn’t frugal, but since I don’t really shop very often, I felt okay about it.
- We ate all our meals at home except my daughter and I splurged on an In and Out Burger.
- I did put $100 in our Santa saver. So that’s a start.
So today I’m going to do some house chores like vacuum unless I can get someone else to do it, go to the gym, then wash a few windows. I cleaned up the sun porch where we have the cockatiels and now the windows need to be cleaned. We took out the treadmill as no one was using it. I’m not sure what to do with it but for now its the black hole of the barn. Boy, is that the next area to declutter. At one point it looked pretty good. Now it’s just a disaster zone. Well, it has been too cold to be out there so soon.
Well, off to start this wonderful sunny day.
Dinner is roast chicken( the Zaycon order) red potatoes from Costco, grilled tofu, and a big salad. I want to learn how to cut up a chicken so I may try that today. I pulled out my cookbook, ‘ The art of French Cooking’ by Julia Child and it shows or tells how. ( I think).