Last night I made a chicken tortilla soup for my daughter and I since I had leftover chicken. It’s a good recipe and the soup with homemade tortilla strips on top was very good.
Since I always need a vegetarian dish I decided to whip up Mexican tofu with basically the same ingredients except in a pan(well, minus the broth).
I just had the leftovers for breakfast and WOW… I’m not sure why my husband wasn’t raving about this. It was delicious.
So here’s the basic recipe:
- press 1/2 a block of tofu ( I use the tofu from Costco) for 1/2 an hour or so, then cube it up
- cut up small amounts of green pepper( mine was from our garden). yellow pepper and red pepper
- dice up 1/2 an onion
- heat up a cast iron skillet with avocado oil and add onions and peppers, cook till soft
- add tofu and chili spices, cook until the tofu has a nice sear
- add 1/2 can of Rotel tomatoes with chilis
- You could add some beans at this point but I had already used them in the soup
- cook for maybe 8 minutes then top with shredded Mexican cheese( I use the Trader Joes brand) and top with a dollop of sour cream.
I would’ve added avocado but it wasn’t ready to be cut.
Well, unfortunately, I didn’t have a picture of it but here’s my empty plate.